Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

{Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes}

One of my favorite things at Thanksgiving is mashed potatoes.  I do not like having to fuss with them at the last minute when you are trying to pull together a meal though.  I am also a bit particular on the consistency, not to soupy and definitely not like glue.

I came across a make ahead mashed potato recipe when a friend made them last year for a potluck dinner.  I researched a few variations (you can find tons online) and settled on this one.  They have a deliciously rich and creamy texture without tasting like they are loaded with cream cheese and sour cream.  I get rave reviews and they are so simple.  

I typically make the recipe a day or two before I serve them and take them out of the refrigerator about an hour before putting them in the oven to heat.  You can also make them and eat them right away or freeze them (consider freezing half the batch for later) and completely defrost before reheating.

On to the recipe:

Start with a 5 pound bag of good old russet potatoes.
Peel, chop and put them in a pot of cold water that has been well salted.  This is the best time to season the potatoes so don't forget the salt!
Starting the potatoes in cold water ensures that they cook evenly.


Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until they are tender and mash easily.

(I saw a trick on Pinterest where you can use a spoon to keep the pot from boiling over.  I never got the pot hot enough for that to happen, so I guess I will try again another time and let you know how it goes.)




For the mashin' ingredients you will need:
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sour cream
8 oz cream cheese (one box)



Add your potatoes that have been well drained and mash away.  I'm cheating and using my mixer!




I like to whip them so they are really fluffy.




At this point, you can adjust your seasonings and add any additional ingredients you might like.  Perhaps some garlic powder or chives...
I left mine plain.
Finally, toss them into a greased, oven-safe dish and cover with foil.




You are ready to heat, chill or freeze!  Remember to take them out of the fridge for about 30-60 minutes so they have some time to come up to room temperature.  This allows them to heat evenly.  Heat in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment