Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

{Alton Brown's Cranberry Sauce}

I'll admit it, I grew up eating cranberry sauce out of the can...jellied cranberry sauce.  That's right, the stuff that makes the fffllllwop sound when it comes out of the can.  We would slice off the amount we wanted from the perfectly formed log with the can imprints.  I'll also admit that I liked it.  

Last year though, I decided that I would venture out and try making homemade cranberry sauce and I don't think I will ever go back.  To be specific, I would never go back or make anything other than Alton Brown's Cranberry Sauce.

The thing that really makes the cranberry sauce is the use of honey as a sweetener.  It gives the sauce a more complex flavor that regular sugar would lack.

The recipe (below) can be found here on the Food Network website along with a video.  I have also included the picture from the site.  That's right!  He even shows you how to mold it into a perfect can shape complete with ribs and the ffflllwop sound!  I opted to skip that step and served mine in a bowl.


The recipe is very simple to make, but it requires time to chill.  This is the perfect excuse to make it the night before while enjoying a glass of wine.

Ingredients
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup 100 percent cranberry juice, not cocktail
1 cup honey
1 pound fresh cranberries, approximately 4 cups
Directions
Wash the cranberries and discard any soft or wrinkled ones.

Combine the orange juice, cranberry juice and honey in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cranberries and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst and the mixture thickens. Do not cook for more than 15 minutes as the pectin will start to break down and the sauce will not set as well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Carefully spoon the cranberry sauce into a 3 cup mold. Place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator, overturn the mold and slide out the sauce. Slice and serve.

Note:  I suggest picking up some extra cranberries.  They make beautiful and simple centerpieces.


2 comments:

  1. Yumm! I can't wait for our Thanksgiving this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Perfect excuse to knock out my Stuffing post pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete