Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

{THE Salsa Recipe}

I started thinking that the first real post better be pretty good.  Then I realized that it is only right to post my salsa recipe. 

This is the recipe that people ask me for the most.  Some have given up on my tendency to rattle off the recipe in the form of approximate sizes, ie about a deck of cards, half and half, etc. and have just settled with, "If I buy you the ingredients and bring you some Tupperware, can you make me some?"

And then there is my boyfriend's dad who relies on my bringing a huge batch to all gatherings and giving him the rest to eat on everything for the next week.  And heaven forbid I ever try to change it on him....

So, here it is

For the recipe, you will need the following:
Tomatoes (any kind will do)
Tomatillos (those funny things you see in the supermarket with the green husks)
Cilantro
Lime Juice (I always have the squeezy bottle on hand to cheat because I am constantly making this salsa)
Garlic
Red Onion
Chipotle Peppers (In the Mexican food isle - These are a MUST in this recipe)
Salt

This recipe can be prepared using a food processor or blender - both work just fine.

As you can tell, I typically start my recipes with "Open a bottle of wine and pour a glass...


Start by quartering the tomatoes.  For this amount of salsa, I am using about two cups.


Next, peel, rinse, and quarter or halve the tomatillos.  They are dirty little buggers so clean them well.  I typically use the same amount of tomatillos as tomatoes so 2 cups.


 Peel 2 cloves of garlic


Add a handful of cilantro - about a quarter cup


A tablespoon of lime juice




A teaspoon of salt 




Chipotles to taste.  Start with one chipotle and some of the adobo sauce from the can.  As my grandma always says, you can always add more, but there is no way its coming back out. 

These are what make this salsa so don't leave them out.  They add a wonderful smoky flavor.



Bonus tip: Take the remaining chipotles and freeze in a zip-top bag.  It is easy to break off what you need later (Thanks Rachel Ray)



Finally, about a quarter cup of red onion.



And now, we BLEND!  I like my salsa smoother, but with some texture left in it.

Taste test and adjust your seasonings and heat when it is partially blended so you have some time to add what you may need.



That's it!  



Play with the ingredients and adjust it to your taste to make it all your own.  Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Full Recipe:


2 cups - Tomatoes 
2 cups - Tomatillos 
1/4 cup - Cilantro
1 tblsp - Lime Juice
2 cloves - Garlic
1/4 cup - Red Onion
1-3 - Chipotle Peppers 
1 tsp - Salt

Adjust ingredient amounts to taste and blend.

1 comment: